Re: Block corruption notes on MetaLink

From: Daniel Fink <Daniel.Fink_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 12:37:12 -0700

Gudmundur Josepsson wrote:

> Dennis,
>
> We've already located all the objects affected by the block corruptions. Fortunately, they all seem to be in indexes and summary tables which we can recreate. All in the same tablespace, all on the same disk. db_block_checksum is set to true.
>
> The plan is to create a new tablespace on a new disk and move all the uncorrupted objects to the new tablespace and recreate indexes and summary tables. Is it enough to move with 'alter table move' or do we need to go for exp/imp?
>
> Database version is 9.0.1.4. Maybe they'll use this opportunity to upgrade :-)
>
> Thanks,
> Gudmundur

In my experience, block corruptions are not common. If you have multiple corrupted blocks on the same disk (or set) I would be concerned about the integrity of the disk(s) and of the i/o subsystem that is writing to the disk(s). Intuition tells me there is a bigger problem than corrupted oracle blocks.

Daniel Fink