RE: query slow in 9i, but not slow in 8i

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_quadtechworld.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 09:39:12 -0600

My opinion is that I'm not at all good at coming up with tangible costs associated with poor design. So now we have a program that checks a 2M-row table every 15 minutes to see if there are any new 'N' values in a Y/N column. And since we're on 8i using CS=F to compensate for a lack of binds (my ignorance and lack of emphasis in Oracle classes are to blame for that one), we get an FTS on that table every 15 minutes. You can imagine what's happening to our buffer cache. I'm hoping to compensate once again in 9i by allowing the optimizer to peek at the binds while providing a histogram on that indexed column, so that it'll use it to get the 5-10 rows out of the 2M.

Rich

Rich Jesse                        System/Database Administrator
rich.jesse_at_quadtechworld.com      QuadTech, Sussex, WI USA