Re: query slow in 9i, but not slow in 8i

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen_at_wangtrading.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 10:08:47 -0500

On 03/02/2004 09:31:03 AM, "Jesse, Rich" wrote:

> We have a few DSS-like queries such as yours below that users don't think
> perform very well. But if you look at it, there's not a whole lot for
> Oracle to filter on other than speciesid. Perhaps extreme, but for the
> long-term, maybe a redesign is in order?

Actually Rich, you opened a very interesting question: when is an application eligible for the total re-design? I've seen applications that are essentially patched up from Oracle V6 to 9i and from SQL*Forms 2.3 -> Developer 6i and that are still working in an optimal fashion, because they were written well. In my opinion, adding entities, objects and functionality is what kills the applications. Typical example is HIPAA: most of the HMO's used to have their own keys for providers, members and groups. Also, they've had millions of claims already in their system and HIPAA changed things in a very significant way. Yet most of the HMO's decided that they'll patch up their existing applications and not re-design them from ground up. That meant adding translation layers, new referential integrity, adding new columns to the existing tables, frequently breaking the 3rd normal form and writing monstrous queries which took many hours to optimize to the barely acceptable levels of performance. In the long run, I'm convinced that it would have been cheaper to redesign the application systems from scratch. What's your opinion?