RE: Using a DNS alias for Oracle Names Server

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 15:07:22 -0800

Thanks John, that is very useful information.

No, I don't have a names repository. I have worked with it at a previous employer, but there was no requirement for it here.

Jared

John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
 03/01/2004 11:21 AM
 Please respond to oracle-l

        To:     "'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: Using a DNS alias for Oracle Names Server

Jared,

I have been using DNS aliases for both Primary and Secondary Name servers for the past 6 years and have seen no problems (assuming no _DNS problems_ !!) In fact, both my aliases have been meaningful names such as "XXORANS01" and "XXORANS02" (substitute XX with a prefix of your choice). This has helped me change servers around with no problems at all.

However, note if you have a Names Repository (and I would assume you do) that you will have to specifically update <schema>.ONRS_REGION table for rows that may contain the actual hostname. [i.e. do review the contents of this table]

John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc
Phone: 408-970-7002 (W)

Grace - Getting something we do NOT deserve Mercy - NOT getting something we DO deserve Click on 'http://www.needhim.org' for Grace and Mercy that is freely available!

Hi list,

A server here that houses a secondary ONAMES server has been targeted for decommission.

The simple fix would seem to be to setup a DNS alias (CNAME) for the box.

However, I have not done this before, and would like to test it.

It would be nice to avoid a full test scenario ( all apps that hit it, etc.).

If someone here has some experience or knowledge with this, it would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jared