Re: Moving db to linux

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_optusnet.com.au>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 23:27:38 +1100

> I have to question using a non-journaled FS like ext2 on a production box,
> unless downtime and loss of data is not a factor.

A journaled file system (JFS) does NOT protect you from loss of data. Common misconception. The function of journaling in a file system is to recover file system internal STRUCTURES (used to be called i-nodes in the Unix days) if they hadn't been flushed to disk on a crash. It does NOT recover its data. It won't protect you from an incomplete chained write on pre-allocated blocks, for example. For that, you need the normal after image recovery of databases.

A JFS basically stops you from having to wait for hours while the OS starts a full "fsck": it's not needed (in theory) in a journaled file system.

> can take hours. And that's provided there isn't a problem with the FS.
If
> there is, the most likely avenue of recovery is to go back to tape and
roll
> forward.

If you are running a non-journaled f/s on the Oracle datafiles and ONLY on the Oracle datafiles and you do NOT have other files in that file system, unless you have a very strange database I can guarantee you will NEVER lose data on a fsck. It's impossible. A fsck ONLY recovers the "i-nodes". These do NOT change for a normal Oracle datafile. So, they can't need recovery or be lost.

Oracle datafiles are pre-allocated and of a final size already. They do not shrink or expand or get deleted or re-created with anywhere near the frequency
needed to cause harm to "i-nodes" in a crash.

> And if you're archived logs were ext2 as well, you may be staring
> at yourself in the mirror to see your boss' boot print on your backside.

I'd need to see proof of that. Like I said: it's all to do with the type of usage. If you mix Oracle datafiles with other volatile OS files in your f/s, then you MUST ensure against f/s loss using a JFS. If you don't, there is nothing in Oracle's normal use of files in a f/s that will cause a fsck to fail. Nothing. A fsck "patches" stuffed up allocations of blocks. Oracle uses pre-allocated blocks. Take away the root of the problem, you got no problem.

> What FS benchmark site? Why is it flawed? Is there a "good" benchmark
> site?

The Quest site with the Linux file system benchmarks. All done without a single description of what block size was used for the f/s, which one for the database, which parameters were used for the f/s configs, no testing of the impact of different write sizes (redo logs versus datafiles),
etcetc. Too many things wide open to be a reliable source for any decisions.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
in sunny Sydney, Australia
dbvision_at_optusnet.com.au