Re: updating singly sys packages

From: Juan Cachito Reyes Pacheco <jreyes_at_dazasoftware.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:32:29 -0400

we have several customer with the same system, about 8, and about 100 forms, and a critical
software, for example if they don't give a daily about 8 report to the government until 10:00 they can have a penalty about 50U$ for each, other monthly, etcs.

We can't be up to date in patches in deevloper 6i, because the amount of customer, and you know developer 6i runtime, not web.

We can update't easily a database, something like today we update all database, we have to update late in the night usually. update all database can take about 2 months, because some of them can reject the update.

So, a change like updating a patch, can create serious problems, for example to need to recompile a form connecting to that database, to get it work. Because there are several bugs in developer 6i, once happened and we don't want to have problems again.

We are not going to patch 9i, because we don't have bugs create problems, about security, there is no problem beacuse they are not connected to the internet and has few clients, between 3 to 20.

Then I though, if a package wrapped is a package, why not to try? Obviously Tom was not going to say "do it!", but it seems to sound reasonable.