Re: Internals - Was Oracle replication book

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen_at_wangtrading.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 13:00:19 -0500

On 02/27/2004 12:21:11 PM, DENNIS WILLIAMS wrote:
> Robert - Excellent points.
> Would anyone care to list what internals topics are worth fundamental
> understanding? And any

Well, here is my list:
1) How space is allocated. a.k.a. ASSM demystified. Pete Sharman has

   an excellent presentation on that, despite the title that would    probably upset my grandmother if she was still alive. Tanel Poder    also has an acellent paper on managing one's Automatic Segment Storage. 2) Shared memory, semaphores, direct and asynchronous I/O, threading concepts.

   These things are very hard to rectify if misconfigured and it is important    that one who installs oracle knows what he or she is doing. In case of RAC,    the list of fundamental OS features includes fairly detailed list of networking    features, concepts and procedures. Add here virtual memory, paging, swapping,    massaging buffer pool and OS parameters. 3) Lock manager. Enqueue, dequeue, locking modes, lock conversions and alike. I don't

   think that this needs further explanation. 4) Queueing theory - it makes the reading of Cary's book much easier and it

   definitely helps with configuration of mixed OLTP/batch systems. 5) Networking. In case of a problem with Oracle*Net (and, we've never had that, have we?),

   it's absolutely essential for the person troubleshooting it to know where are names    resolved, what is WINS, what is BIND, where is routing done, and that there might be    an entity on the network blocking certain ports and that firewall administrators    have to be contacted. It is also crucial to know about VPN. 6) That brings us to encryption, public and private keys, different encryption algorithms

   and how do they differ.
7) B-trees, indexes, bitmap indexes and the entrails of the CBO. 8) Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy, all 6 parts of the trilogy. The reason

   for this because I say so. Also, watching the Life of Brian and Holy Grail is    mandatory.