RE: locally managed with autoallocation

From: Adams, Matthew (GE Consumer & Industrial) <MATT.ADAMS_at_APPL.GE.COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 12:25:54 -0500

rerun the same test with data file size being 1073807360 (1000M + 64K). and you will see 1000M available

Matt Adams - GE Appliances - matt.adams_at_appl.ge.com When I'm around hard-core computer geeks, I want to say, 'Come outside -- the graphics are great!'

From: Koivu, Lisa [mailto:Lisa.Koivu_at_Cendant-TRG.com] Sent: Friday, February 27, 2004 11:50 AM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

Hi Matt,

Well, for someone like me who doesn't have disk space to spare, autoallocation helps me because when you set allocation type to uniform, the first extent is used for the bitmap. So, for example I create a tablespace and set allocation type uniform=200mb. The tablespace will immediately display with 200MB already used.

Besides, the autoallocate extent sizes are all multiples of each other. I use autoallocate and I am very happy with it. Wasted space is kept to a minimum and the old rule of small/med/large objects in separate tablespaces is out the window, really. Having small and large objects in the same tablespace ensures that the small extents will indeed be used.

If you have the time to do the proper analysis to determine the correct extent size and categorize all your objects... well, more power to you. It just seems to me doing this is extra effort for very little benefit.

Just my two cents... fwiw...

Lisa Koivu

Monkey Mama

Orlando, FL, USA