Re: Moving db to linux

From: Ray Stell <stellr_at_cns.vt.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 09:15:37 -0500

> I cannot find the patch you mentioned in metalink: 3208258, can you find it?

Sorry, I refused to go there, so I never tried to find any of these "fixes". Just did a patch search, but found nothing. Oracle support might be able to figure it out. I think it is silly to do these patches. Backleveling the kernel opens all sorts of security holes. This does not seem like a reasonable choice and is not reasonable support from the vendor.

Another interesting note along this path. I was trying to confirm the 10g cd I had burned was valid, so I ran the 10g installer on my desktop Mandrake 9.x linux box. I run a 9i db for testing on it. There are probably workarounds here, but I find it interesting that they would do this:

[oracle_at_moria mnt]$ uname -a
Linux moria 2.4.19-36mdk #1 Fri Nov 28 21:15:25 MST 2003 i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linux

[oracle_at_moria mnt]$ ./runInstaller
Starting Oracle Universal Installer...

Checking installer requirements...

Checking operating system version: must be redhat-2.1, UnitedLinux-1.0 or redhat-3

                                      Failed <<<<