Re: Your opinion please :) keep in the goal

From: Juan Cachito Reyes Pacheco <jreyes_at_dazasoftware.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 09:15:16 -0400

Thanks for your good and bad opinions, but I would like to remember you please, the idea
to give you the paper is to get ideas what more I can add there, what do you think should be in the paper (obviously briefly) and you can't see in there now.
Or if you see some error, or something to improve.

The only one who give one point to add was April Wells (after I ask to give one).

Thank you If you criticize or laud the paper, but don't forget the point (what do you think must be add or improved) I like people who critizes aggresively giving a good reason, because they help to see things you don't see or other people don't want to say, so no problem about this, and thanks for your support words.  :)

> In all my 4 yrs of DBA lige I have never seen a newbie shying away from
> reading .Currently I have two trainee DBA's working under me and believe
> me They work very hard and can quote the manual verbatim.
> Deep

What I had seen (standard database reality), is people who have to mantain sql server, oracle server, access, fox pro systems, people who don't have time neither money to learn Oracle, because 1) this is not his only responsability (for example I'm more time developing in developer 2000, or designing than working as dba).
2) There are some topics in Oracle they don't think is important, and they are; and viceversa. I read all Oracle 7 documentation, and even when I understand I didn't seen how important they were as I do now. and as we didn't get critical situations, for example a query which take too much time, then we didn't dig further in that. Because when one learn more about tunning is when the process don't work or take too much time. I didn't saw a real advantage between Oracle and sql server (in fact I saw sql server was more user friendly), until I got my OCP after 5 years working with Oracle and developer 2000, I understand a very few topics that make me understand the advantages in Oracle, I too did a system in sql server (and knew you must verify in database procedures AFTER EACH LINE!! if there were an error) ,then I understand what is Oracle and ask my self why other people still are using sql server, when they had bought Oracle.