RE: how to get parse and execution number for a sql

From: Powell, Mark D <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:51:44 -0500

Paul, if you look at the (9.2) glossary Oracle definitely implies that it always checks the syntax before it looks in the shared pool for the SQL:

parse call
A call to Oracle to prepare a SQL statement for execution. This includes syntactically checking the SQL statement, optimizing it, and building (or locating) an executable form of that statement.

I realize the manuals are not always very precise, but in the last week I have just read a post by Tom Kyte on the parse order where he explained the difference between checking syntax and semantics and the definition follows what he said.