Re: Moving db to linux

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen_at_wangtrading.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:01:50 -0500

I haven't considered FAT, but XFS and JFS were both serious candidates. I opted for JFS, after I asked the question on both IBM support pages and SGI support pages. I've never received answer from SGI about direct I/O on XFS, but I'm entertaining the thought of trying it out. I was under the impression that SGI's backing of XFS for Linux is just casual, marketing level support, while IBM's is rather serious, with good developers and decent support. Not receiving an answer to email in which I ask for assistance is rather serious thing and I disqualified SGI entirely from any future recommendations or even considerations. If they're not capable of responding to the question whether they support direct I/O, how can I expect them to tell me about the bugs they have? IBM just looks better. As for FAT, I've never considered it a serious candidate. It's 20 years old FS being abandoned even by the original peddler in favor of NTFS. Let me borrow the favorite dietary mantra from daytime TV: FAT is bad.