RE: Your opinion please :)

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 23:29:15 +0000

hi

I have to admit I don't like the paper much. it looks like a set of checklists with little or no reasoning behind them. for example the suggestions on optimizer_index_caching have just start at x and work from there. where x is apparently an arbitrary number.

my deeper problem is that the article seems to suggest that it is possible to tune systems but pays no attention to individual business processes (or indeed development modules). I disagree, the logical unit for tuning is the thing that runs badly, the logical time to do it is when writing the code for it. setting db wide parameters is sticking plaster on the titanic. perhaps.

Niall