Re: Re[5]: Linux at a reasonable price

From: Michael Thomas <mhthomas_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:28:18 -0800 (PST)

Yep. Totally agree.

SuSE worked really hard on Oracle, and they still get my respect. Michael H was invaluable to my work.

And, SuSE has brought some great features into LINUX. They should have the first enterprise LINUX version based on the 2.6 kernel this year. Maybe that is a consolation if someone already has SuSE enterprise. I have not given up on SuSE, but I'm being _extra_ cautious because of the Novell acquisition.

In the meantime, thanks to your tip, I think RH has a 'reasonable' entry price point that matches my development needs. The competition must be strong enough that RH is willing to cooperate with pricing models like the Developer Subscription. I am surprised because I had recent discussions with RH sales about my situation, and the Developer Subscription was not suggested. But, today, the RH salesman was very informed about it.

Just for fun (I still get Novell emails), does anyone know what version of SuSE LINUX is included in the Novell Developer Program or Solutions Pack?

http://www.cvent.com/EventManagement/Summary/Summary.asp?eCode=idnlibciltyiibtlirbilbdiibblir

 • NOVELL SOLUTIONS Evaluation KITS - all NEW!   (evaluation kits contain multiple CDs, evaluation software,
  practical applications, partner information, demonstration
  images & other related resources)
  Kits will include:
   • Novell NetWare 6.5 (3 concurrent connection licenses (NO TIMEOUT) - plus an unlimited user license with a 90-day timeout)

   • Novell Nterprise Linux Services (NNLS)    • SuSE Linux
   • Novell Branch Office
   • Novell GroupWise 6.5
   • Novell Resource Management (ZEN, RedCarpet)

• NOVELL SOLUTIONS Evaluation CDs/DVDs

   • Ximian Desktop (XD2)
   • Novell exteNd Evaluation DVD
   • Novell Nsure DVD

• Novell exteNd, Nterprise, Nsure and Ngage Resources • Selected Novell Evaluation Software on DVD • Current Novell Minimum Patch List on DVD • Five empty 4-CD sleeves for your use
• MORE TO COME IN THE FALL 2004 (at no additional charge!)

Again, thanks pd.

Regards,

Mike Thomas

Do you Yahoo!?