Re: Reading DUMP of DATE field

From: Daniel Fink <Daniel.Fink_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:31:35 -0700

The format of the date datatype is

byte 1 - century (excess 100)  120 - 100 = 20
byte 2 - year (excess 100)  104 - 100 = 04
byte 3 - month = 2
byte 4 - day = 20
byte 5 - hour (excess 1) 1 - 1 = 0
byte 6 - minute (excess 1) 1 - 1 = 0
byte 7 - seconds (excess 1) 1 - 1 = 0

So the YYYY/MM/DD:hh24:mi:ss format would be 2004/02/20:00:00:00

The reason for the excess is that the value cannot be stored as a 0, even though 0 is allowable in some fields. Obviously we don't have a month 0 nor day 0.

Daniel