Re: to undo or not to undo

From: Daniel Fink <Daniel.Fink_at_sun.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:37:59 -0700

Howdy Barb!

I would create the undo tablespace, shutdown (in consistent mode), perform a full backup, change the parameters, restart the db, drop the rbs tablespace. Make sure you shutdown in consistent mode or else you can trash the database. Based on your undo_retention setting, I'd start out with an undo tablespace that is at least 3x the size of the current rbs tablespace. Closely monitor v$undostat using Kirti's methods and resize as needed.

One area to be careful about is dealing with a high throughput/high concurrent transaction system. There seem to be problems with housekeeping that has been identified by at least 3 credible sources.

You also need to purchase the guaranteed Automatic Undo Management tool that I unveiled at my RMOUG presentation. While the British-specific version is the best, there are suitable versions available in the states.

Dan