RE:best way to convert into large VLDB oracle while running operationally

From: <Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:11:33 -0500

So,

Oracle 9i

-Vendor is converting data. Their conversion process used 2Gb of space in archivelogs in one hour. Of course we could turn off archiving but then the redo logs get overwritten.

-Business plans on running operationally in the same database.

-I have concerns about recovering if anything goes wrong or running out of space at a rate of 2GB space in archives/hour.

-3rd party product - not much say in the conversion process itself

-Wish we could run conversion in a separate instance then do some process to move data after it was converted to the operational database - in batch off-hours - yadayada. What about using a database link so we get the correct sequence numbers - the operational database would be using the sequence - the database link for the conversion database.