Re: SQLPlus -- restatement of the problem

From: Sue Johnson <sue_johnson_dba_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 00:46:34 -0800

Let me restate the problem so that we may compare apples with apples...

When using SQLPlus (or other tools) there are 3 parts:

INPUT                    EXECUTION                    OUTPUT

Now,

INPUT is horrid using notepad. So, we substitute with UltraEdit32 (i downloaded it, its very good), emacs, vi, bbedit(mac), which is good, but:

a. we are back to the toggle mode between sqlplus and the editor
b. where is the security?
c. what about the output so that we may work with the data, change the data,
etc, etc....SPOOL?
So, the suggestions reg. ultraedit32, emacs, vi, bbedit, et al, is a quickfix for the input. Its not a comprehensive solution for either the end-user or the power user.

EXECUTION in sqlplus is by far great (the greatest).

OUTPUT in sqlplus is horrid, spool file spool on/out... terrible, so we csv to excel, etc. These are all work arounds, again not a comprehensive solution.

A comprehensive solution would involve INPUT+EXECUTION+OUTPUT, not just any one aspect of this. I have downloaded most of the windows based tools that were mentioned and am evaluating again, however, not many options here...and that surprises me.

Sue
DBA
OCP
Sent : Friday, February 20, 2004 6:16 AM To : oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject : Re: SQLPlus -- replacement tool

  | | | Inbox

I use "vim". It has "set syntax=oracle" command, or, my favorite, "set syntax=perl",
and it isn't as expensive as UltraEdit32. I have yet to find an editor capable
of
supporting regular expressions as well as "vi". And you know what: it's everywhere
where I go. There is a "vi" version for everything, with the possible exception
of
IBM mainframe. IBM mainframes have been appropriately named: the latest and the
greatest
is called "T-Rex" (not a joke, it's true). Asteroid is traveling fast and Jurassic is
coming to an end.

Click, drag and drop. My MSN is the simple way to design your homepage. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200364ave/direct/01/