RE: Recovery database with RMAN after resetlogs

From: Ruth Gramolini <rgramolini_at_tax.state.vt.us>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:36:17 -0500

In 9.2.0.4 it is relatively simple to reset the incarnation if you are using a recovery catalog. This is one reason I went back to using a recovery catalog after taking OWS' advice and going nocatalog at first. They said the catalog will be going away, however it still exists therefore there must be a reason for using it. I try to avoid the bleeding edge whenever possible.

But even in nocatalog, it can be done. It is just a bit tricky. I have done it in 8.0.6.2 and 9.2.0.4 twice: once after advice from OWS on a simple question caused my migration database to be completely hosed after we had moved the OS to 64 bit and 8.0.6.3 wouldn't run on 64 bit and again when someone forgot to put backups to tape when I was out one day and we had to go back several days with missing archivelogs. Most of the support analysts will say that the package is not for end users and then send you the paper and expect you to do it on your own. I can now!

OF course, backup after recovery is still the best way to handle things, but that is what testing is for. What if you have a crash before you can backup?

Regards,
Ruth