RE: Certifiable Linux

From: Powell, Mark D <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 12:14:58 -0500

According to recent Computer World column. Perhaps IBM intends to continue distributing AIX because the only code identified in court to date in Linux which SCO claims ownership of was written by IBM. SCO is claiming ownership based on a clause in the UNIX license that makes any code added to UNIX by vendors property of the UNIX License holder. However, AT&T, the then owner of the license issued a letter in 1985 (or so) stating that the provision made no claim on vendor added code, but rather referred only to the original AT&T provided code. I believe it was Novell that brought the letter to light.

I did not see a link to any article that says Novell has told SCO it has any legal right to terminate IBM's license.