RE: 10g query

From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:15:40 -0600

> Cary, there are 808 events in 10g.

Thanks.

> There is a huge class of events which oracle calls "idle" and in your
book you warned against disregarding "idle" events.

I know; so far, I think the whole "wait class" thing is a waste of effort--not just the idle stuff, but the whole idea of families of wait events. Either a wait event consumes someone's response time, or it doesn't. Calling an event a name that makes people feel like it's okay to ignore it isn't helping anyone.

Now, there's a difference between partitioning events into families and continuing to tell people that it's okay to ignore certain events. I haven't checked the 10g doc yet for this; is Oracle Corp. still telling people in its documentation to ignore "idle" events?

If they are, then as a technician, I find the idea reprehensible. As an owner of a business, I love it. It means that there's a huge class of performance problems out there that other tools and methods will still fail to find.

> Are there any changes in 10g in that recommendation?

None at all.

> From what I've seen so far, 10g is not so drastically different from
9i as 9i was different from 8i. Would you agree with that impression?

I don't think so. The end-to-end tracing model, for example, is a huge deal. The difference between 10g instrumentation and 9i instrumentation is on the order of the difference between 9i and version 6. The key is that "is tracing" is no longer an attribute of an Oracle session; it's an attribute of a service, a module, or a [user] action, which is exactly where it needs to be! Moving this in the kernel had to be a huge headache.

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com
* Nullius in verba *

Upcoming events:

- Performance Diagnosis 101: 2/24 San Diego, 3/23 Park City, 4/6 Seattle
- Hotsos Symposium 2004: March 7-10 Dallas
- Visit www.hotsos.com for schedule details...