Architectural design question for Oracle and PHP

From: Gints Plivna <g.plivna_at_softex.lv>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:26:38 +0200

Hello, gurus!

So we are building a system with PHP frontend and Oracle as backend. System will be quite big with possible parallel ~200 users hitting the system each 3-5 seconds. There will be many updates and selects in the system and rare deletes.
So we are considering two architectural decisions

  1. standard Oracle procedures (united in packages of course) with standard parametrs with standard types. Generally it means if form consists of 10 input fields then procedure has ~10 parameters (of course, with some service parameters too). This approach means we have to make about as many procedures as forms * const. for PHP and Oracle cooperation.
  2. second approach - generally we will make 1 or 2 procedures for PHP and Oracle cooperation. Oracle procedure will have as input and output parameter XML string that will be formatted in PHP and parsed in Oracle for form submit and formatted in Oracle and parsed in PHP for form display. Of course I understand that we have to make all functionality as well as in 1st appraoch, but these Oracle procedures wouldn't speak directly with PHP.

So the questions are:
Has anybody made second appraoch in a real aplication? Are there any suggestions from your experience here?
What traps theoretically we may encounter in second approach? Have you any idea how much performance will be degraded in second case?

Gints Plivna
Project manager
e-mail: g.plivna_at_softex.lv
WWW: http://www.softex.lv