RE: 8i to 9i and LMT

From: Lim, Binley <Binley.Lim_at_NBNZ.CO.NZ>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 12:02:09 +1300

I came across a problem where an LMT upgraded from 8i to 9.2.0.3 became corrupted when a shutdown abort was performed when there still was update activities on the tablespace.

The symptom was ORA-600s when querying the data dictionary on that tablespace - the tables themselves did not give any problems. None of the fix-it dbms packages were of any good - they errored out when trying to executed them. Since the tables themselves could be moved without any problems - the solution was to simply rebuild the tablespace.

I suspect it has something to do with the tablespace starting life as DMT in 8.0, migrated to LMT using the supplied packages in 8i, and subsequently upgraded to 9i, as testing on 9i brand-new LMTs did not give any problems. This was off-course a dispensable tablespace - I wasn't brave enough to subject the  others to this migration process.

This communication is confidential and may contain privileged material. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or retain it. If you have received it in error please immediately notify me by return email and delete the emails.
Thank you.