Re: Slightly OT: Java in the DB

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen_at_wangtrading.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:20:55 -0500

Exactly what are you trying to do? For having a daemon (or demon, for that matter) lurking in the darnkness of the central server and resetting expired passwords, the daemon needs to maintain a permanent connection with sufficient privileges to change any user's password, typically, a dba connection. If your DBA doesn't use profiles, with the idle time limitation, you can have a permanently connected process which would change password as soon as it was signalled to him. The question is: what would the password be changed to? There are strings which are extremely hard tu guess (username, "qwerty", "password", "tiger") and which would make your username secure. At one of my places of work, I've witnessed the following story: a tech support expert leaves a unix worsktation logged in, as root, and goes home at 6 PM, when cleaning ladies entered the office. One of the cleaning ladies had a 14 years old son which wanted to check the old joke with "rm -rf /". He found out that it really does destroy everything on a unix system. Now, you are absent, your password expires at 7 P.M. and there is an eager help desk person who wants to test "drop tablescpace FIN_DATA including contents and datafiles cascade constraints" that he or she has seen written somewhere. I'll leave the rest of the story to you.