Re: Re[2]: Will 10g install on any Linux???

From: Michael Thomas <mhthomas_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 06:50:17 -0800 (PST)

Sometimes its difficult to get 'new' features working on LINUX. I'm not aware of the SUSE SATA solution, so my comments are on SATA in general. The SATA issue could be related to your LINUX kernel, motherboard, or SATA chipset.

Here is an informed discussion and one guy's solution: http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33835&sid=01f4f336731be3b6343b12424cd5484f

The above discussion is good because it touches on all three topics (kernel, mb, chipset).

Many SATA capable motherboards (and PCI-SATA cards) include the SATA chip (e.g. SiI3112) from Silcon Image. If you go to this web site:

http://www.siimage.com/home.asp

and search on 'drivers' you will find many varieties including some LINUX. The navigation tree has good info too.

Keep in mind that SATA improvements are still an illusion. Unless you are running an SiI3124 and a WD740 you will see _no_ benefit over a regular 'parallel' IDE (ATA100/133). And, you will see increased CPU usage that may actually decrease application performance. Also, most motherboards have only SiI3112a which implements NCQ feature in software (you need at least SiI3124 for H/W NCQ). I'm sticking to regular IDE (ATA100/133) because the cost of WD740 is as high as 10k SCSI drives and SiI3124 is not available yet.
(Sorry, I'm too lazy to find all the links supporting my comments in the last paragraph.)

Good luck.

Regards,

Mike Thomas

Do you Yahoo!?