Re: Large Memory on other OS's

From: Paul Drake <discgolfdba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 17:25:12 -0800 (PST)

Lisa,

You might want to give Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.0 a try. A developer license (5 seats) is quite reasonable at $299 for one year. The AS kernel has things like async IO back ported into the 2.4 kernel. You might find that ES is sufficient for your purposes.

You might also pickup Jonathan Gennick's SLES license that he doesn't seem to need anymore. :)

Paul

> "Koivu, Lisa" <Lisa.Koivu_at_Cendant-TRG.com>
> Sent by: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
> 02/20/2004 07:35 AM
> Please respond to oracle-l
>

> To: <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
> cc:
> Subject: Large Memory on other OS's
>

> Hello everyone,=20
>
> Well, now I've got support working with me to try to
> address this
> Windows memory issue. But my question to all of you
> is, has anyone run
> a large sga (over 2GB) on Linux without any serious
> problems and seen a
> performance increase? My specific case is to be
> able to run several
> hundred very busy connections concurrently in a data
> warehouse load. =20
>
> Any horror stories or suggestions are appreciated.
> Thank you
>
> Lisa Koivu
> Orlando, FL, USA
>

> "The sender believes that this E-Mail and any
> attachments were free of =
> any virus, worm, Trojan horse, and/or malicious code
> when sent. This =
> message and its attachments could have been infected
> during =
> transmission. By reading the message and opening
> any attachments, the =
> recipient accepts full responsibility for taking
> proactive and remedial =
> action about viruses and other defects. The sender's
> business entity is =
> not liable for any loss or damage arising in any way
> from this message =
> or its attachments."
>

> Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
> http://www.orafaq.com