Re: Annoying 9.2.0.4 "feature"

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 15:16:43 -0800

Why must finding bugs always be so painful? You wouldn't have found that had you tested it first.

It would only show up in production, as dictated by Murphy.

Mladen Gogala <mladen_at_wangtrading.com>
 02/20/2004 12:23 PM
 Please respond to oracle-l

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
        cc:
        Subject:        Annoying 9.2.0.4 "feature"

As every site, our has development and production databases. I've been told to transport approximately 20GB of data between them and innocently asked if I can finish that in an hour. Sure, heck, why not, I have a gigabit switch between 2 machines and I sure can copy 20GB in an hour. So, I execute dbms_tts.transport_set_check and transport_set_violations report one table in another tablespace being referenced by a foreign key. No sweat, table isn't very big, I can move stuff around, and I do alter table move to the correct tablespace. Everything finishes OK. I then re-execute dbms_tts.transport_set_check and transport_set_violations
report the very same table, again, being referenced by a foreign key, this time in the tablespace SYSTEM!!!!!
I select tablespace_name from dba_tables where the table is the one that I

just have moved and the tablespace name was EMPTY! Dba_segments was OK, but in dba_tables, tablespace_name was empty and oracle assumed that it means "SYSTEM". I had to drop the table and re-create it, together with all
foreign keys pointing to it. What a pain! Eventually, it took me about an hour. What a pain! The "feature" is that DBA_TABLES and USER_TABLES
(actually, SYS.TAB$) are not correctly maintained after "alter table move".
The new tablespace is simply not entered. Oh, well, one can't have it all. Needless to say, I'll report a TAR.