Re: Large Memory on other OS's

From: zhu chao <chao_ping_at_vip.163.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 23:52:56 +0800

hi, lisa:

    We have linux 2.1/9204 running datawarehouse supporting tens of dw users and linux2.1/rac 920 support 400 connections.

    We tried large sga on linux/dw with two method: 1. relink oracle with lower sga start address. We got 2.75GB sga and we did see performance gains. However, for some reason, the ETL process failed for ORA-4030 error and we reversed back to normal SGA. 2. Use shmfs and indirect data buffer. we increased sga to about 4gb and in our benchmark, we did not see any performance gains. We reverted back to 1.75GB sga.

    Our server has 8GB memory.

    New redhat 3 by nature support 2.75GB sga. You can try it. I have not tried it yet.

Regards
Zhu Chao.