Re: suddenly high "physical write" from statspack

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 23:10:42 +0800

  1. Did you notice a performance degradation ? Did your jobs take longer to run ? If not, why worry about the "physical writes per transaction" ? You haven't shown how many transactions/second you now have.
  2. You earlier had 47.72*3600=171792 physical writes. At 0.67 per transaction, you had 256,405 transactions ! You now have 661968 physical writes. You now have 270,191 transactions ! You actually had __more__ transactions succeeding.
  3. Your total redo generated is slightly higher, but _lower_ per transaction.
  4. Your block changes are slightly higher, but _lower_ per transaction.
  5. Your total executions are slightly higher, but _lower_ per transaction.

I don't see a problem. I see that transactions are slightly __more__ efficient and overall throughput is higher.

Hemant

Hemant K Chitale
Oracle 9i Database Administrator Certified Professional http://hkchital.tripod.com {last updated 24-Jan-04}