Re: Oracle New features for 9i TBT problems

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen_at_wangtrading.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 16:17:41 -0500

On 02/19/2004 03:22:05 PM, "Jesse, Rich" wrote:
> Has anyone used the Technology-Based Training from Oracle before? Aside
> from being Windohs-only (which I can live with), I've found a couple of odd
> items in just the first lesson in the 9i New Features TBT.
>
> First, it's stated that there are two "parameters" of TUNABLE_MEMORY_SIZE
> and UNTUNABLE_MEMORY_SIZE, neither of which I can find any mention of
> anywhere in the Oracle docs nor MetaLink (I assumed these to be init.ora
> parms). Second, it says there is a new V$SQL_MEMORY_USAGE view, but again I
> can't find anywhere this ever existed.
>
> So, am I missing something here? Has anyone noticed issues like this
> before? If these are outright wrong, how can I trust the rest of this TBT?
>
> I wonder if I can file a TAR on these...

Rich, I believe that you've been had. First, the abbreviation. It's not "Technology Based Training", it's "Total Bull.... of a Training". Now, when we've clarified that, there are few more things:

  1. V$SQL_MEMORY_USAGE doesn't exist and never has existed. There is V$SORT_USAGE and there is V$SQL_SHARED_MEMORY
  2. Untunable memory exists in vast quantities and is usually located under the hair of the DBA. Fortunately, oracle doesn't control that.