Re: truss shows polls. What does that mean?

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen_at_wangtrading.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:15:48 -0500

Wolfgang, "poll" system call polls an open file for an event like "there is something to read" or "write will not block" and alike. Polling is done by spinning, so that is why you are burning CPU, without any visible results. You are polling, because you are waiting for something to let you proceed with the I/O request. You can find out what is it that you are polling, from /proc/<the process PID>/fd (ls -l will reveal the file names for each descriptor). If you are waiting on the network, then you have something in your configuration that makes oracle go and peep thru the network hole. If it is a disk, you may be having events, normally not visible by the naked eye, like SCSI controller resets, because of the controller failure, it may be a bad SCSI cable (I lost a whole night of my beauty sleep and approximately 3.14% of my hair diagnosing a SCSI cable failure and had to develop rather cunning methodology to do that in NYC in 1998. I still remember saying to my boss, an English guy, "master, I have a cunning plan")