Re: RE: How does Oracle keep B-tree indexes to 3 levels?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 19:39:17 -0000

I believe the following covers the significant points - but I am not certain how accurate it is:

B-tree splits 50/50 on full

B+tree does the same, but leaf nodes have

    forward and backward pointers

B*tree attempts to move rows to adjacent leafs if they can, and split 2 leafs into 3 if they can't (and maintain forward and backward pointers).

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

Next public appearances:
 March 2004 Hotsos Symposium - The Burden of Proof  March 2004 Charlotte NC OUG - CBO Tutorial  April 2004 Iceland

One-day tutorials:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html

Three-day seminar:
see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html
____UK___February
____UK___June

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

OK, What is the high level difference between a B*Tree and a B+Tree? When I was in college I remember discussions on Btrieve and (Balanced) Binary trees, where each node has at most two children. The terminology seems to have changed over the years. Fortunately we never got to Red/Black trees and a couple of other variations.