slightly OT: NAS recommendations?

From: Jay Weinshenker <jweinshe_at_concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 09:05:18 -0600

Just looking for suggestions / pointers for a NAS box...

Basic requirements are:

no more than $15k or so
gigabit ethernet
as redundant as possible (power supplies, etc.) Total RAIDed storage of at least 500G, preferably 1T (RAID 5 most likely) accessible / designed to work with Linux and Windows (RHAS 2.1/3.0, W2K/W2K3 respectively)

Main usage for this thing is going to be as network drives for windows users to put important files, and I'll probably be storing some archive logs there for redundancy (yes I know, writing archive logs to NAS and/or RAID 5 is bad. move along...)

We currently have an old ass Procom Netforce 2500 and that thing is slower then hell. It's a POS, and our yearly support is about 10-12, hence why we just want to buy something else :)