Re: quick question on decompressing a table...

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 08:35:34 -0000

"alter table move nocompress" certainly seems to be the
obvious option, but you will have to do each partition separately.

You may also have to drop the bitmap indexes before you move, and rebuild them - but I'd have to check that; it's based on a vague memory I have that you have to drop bitmap indexes when you first change a partition of a partitioned table to compressed,

Since you also want to get rid of migrated rows (I am assuming you meant migrated when you said chained) you will have to pick your value of PCTFREE carefully - possibly using a different value for different partitions. Older partitions with full size rows might need 0, newer partitions where the rows still have to grow may need a value other than the default 10.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

Next public appearances:
 March 2004 Hotsos Symposium - The Burden of Proof  March 2004 Charlotte NC OUG - CBO Tutorial  April 2004 Iceland

One-day tutorials:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html

Three-day seminar:
see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html ____UK___February
____UK___June

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

If you want to decompress the existing blocks as well, then you can just use
"alter table move nocompress", with nologging and parallel if you want. (but
test it out on a test table first, I had some problems with it in 9.2.0.1).

Tanel.