RE: Shooting yourself in the spfile

From: Jacques Kilchoer <Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 16:56:32 -0800

It seems to me that Oracle is moving away from the text-based init.ora = file. And since you can change the init parameters with alter system, = why edit an init.ora file with vi? At least the 'alter system' command = has some syntax checking. If I say
alter system set optimizer_index_cost_adK =3D 25 scope =3D spfile ; then I get an error message, but if I type in optimizer_index_cost_adK =3D 25
in my init.ora file and try to start up the database, I get an error at = startup time and have to go edit the init.ora file a second time.

I would use as a standard practice, backup the spfile along with the = database (of course) and then before each change save a copy of the = spfile. For example create a script called "backup_spfile.sql" = containing

host cp $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/spfile$ORACLE_SID.ora = $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/spfile$ORACLE_SID.ora.`date +"$Y%m%d_%H%M%S`

and run backup_spfile.sql before any "alter system set ..." command.

Why the spfile is not text-based - could it be that Oracle is moving to = making it totally "encrypted"?