Re: PreCreate Oracle Tables

From: Juan Cachito Reyes Pacheco <jreyes_at_dazasoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 16:53:55 -0400

> When copying a database, what are the best practices?
>
> 1) I typically, perform a full export from db A, create db B, import
> dump from A into B.

Usually
> 2) Same as 1, but precreate tables with indexfile and then import
> ignore=y.

If you want to improve table structures, for example move frequently null value columns to the end, etc.
> 3) Same as 1, but precreate tables with dynamic sql (create table
emp
> as select * from emp_at_dblink where 1=2), then import ignore=y.

I dont't think why this could be better than a export, this will take hundreds of times more.
> 4) Copy datafiles, recreate controlfile and rename db.
I would prefer 1, that 4 if this have lots of data and performance is critical, because when you export, there is a optimization. We always do 4), because is faster, and cleaner, you don't have to be checking if import was successful, if you don't forget some function somebody create in sys schema, by mistake, etc.