RE: How do commits release row level locks?

From: Naveen, Nahata (IE10) <Naveen.Nahata_at_honeywell.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 01:40:23 -0700

Thanx Jonathan, Anjo and Jesper!

I have an additional question. I'm referring to the article by Arup: http://www.dbazine.com/nanda3.html

In that he explains the way to identify the first "Data Block" in the file by dumping the "Header Block". These are the steps he lists:

  1. Find the Header Block using the query "SELECT Header_File, Header Block FROM Dba_Segments WHERE ....."
  2. Dump the Header Block
  3. Find the section similar to the following: Extent Control Header
    Extent Header:: spare1: 0 spare2: 0 #extents: 1 #blocks: 10
  4. Find the real no. of blocks for the segment from DBA_SEGMENTS via "SELECT Blocks FROM Dba_Segments WHERE ..... "
  5. Subtract the value of #blocks (Step 3) from the value obtained via Step 4
  6. Step 5 gives the no. of Header Blocks.

In my case, the result of Step 3 and Step 4 is the same. How do I find out the no. of Header Blocks?

9.2.0.3 On Solaris (The tablespace in question is LMT with Uniform Extents, Segment Space Management = Auto)

Regards
Naveen