RE: ORA-01031

From: SRIDHARAN, SAN (SBCSI) <ss4569_at_sbc.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 13:55:46 -0800

In the OEM Console, if you try to connect to a database, a logon dialogue window appears. You have a choice of connecting as 'Normal', 'Sysdba', or 'Sysoper'. You can connect with the user internal as sysdba but NOT sys or system. When you attempt this, you receive the error:

ORA-1031 insuffient privileges

Why? How do you set this to work?

Solution Description

Run svrmgr30 or svrmgrl (depending on version) and logon as internal and then issue the following:

grant sysdba to system;
(or any user that you want to have the sysdba role).

Then in OEM, for this user that you setup, you can have the connect as set to SYSDBA by doing the following:

  1. Select FILE->PREFERRENCES from within the OEM Console.
  2. Highlight the database and change the role from NORMAL to either SYSDBA (or SYSOPER).
  3. Click APPLY.

The next time you attempt to connect from the OEM applications, the application will connect as the role you selected.

Note: Before the SYSDBA role can be granted to a user, the init.ora file must have the parameter "REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE=EXCLUSIVE". If you have to modify the init.ora to include this parameter, you will need to shutdown and restart your instance.

Explanation

By default the internal user has the sysdba privilege. The system and sys do not. Therefore, you need to grant the sysdba role to the user.