RE: Oracle 10g for Windows

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_quadtechworld.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:33:14 -0600

Interesting! Have you messed with UNC naming with Oracle? That would make things easier for those of us who don't regularly maintain Oracle DBs on Windows and have to remotely figure out where "D:", "E:", and "F:" point to.

As far as Werner's wonderful site, yes, I agree with you to a point. The problem there is inherent to RedHat and not to Linux in general. Also, the problem seems to be there with versions of RedHat not supported by Oracle (albeit not as bad as trying to install Oracle Server on WinMe).

On the ORACLE_HOME stuff, Oracle specifically says not to set Unix-like environment variables in Windohs, at least for 8.1.7 (see install guide). Not that I'm against breaking an Oracle Corp recommendation (for me, it's parts of OFA), but what problems could it cause? Just GUI-related stuff?

Rich

Rich Jesse                        System/Database Administrator
rich.jesse_at_quadtechworld.com      QuadTech, Sussex, WI USA

ationErrors f=
or example

> =20
> > > * The stupid Oracle home selector that is strictly a GUI.
> >=20
> > I've always ignored it.=3D20

>=20
> How do you switch Oracle Homes on Windohs then?

Set ORACLE_HOME=3D....
Sqlplus / as sysdba ...=20

Niall Litchfield