Re: Using a trigger to turn on tracing

From: Daniel W. Fink <Daniel.Fink_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:30:50 -0700

Peter,

The problem is not ALTER SESSION (which is granted to the user via CREATE role).

The problem is that the creator of the trigger needs to have CREATE ANY TRIGGER granted to it directly. PL/SQL requires direct granting and triggers are pl/sql units. This privilege is part of the DBA role, so the creation of the tigger succeeds, but the execution fails. Grant CREATE ANY TRIGGER directly and there won't be a problem. If you create this trigger as SYS, you don't run into the problem, but as any other user (including SYSTEM), you get dinged.

It's irritating in that the trigger creates without error, but the execution fails. It would be nice if Oracle would report the error on creation.

Daniel Fink