Re: Oracle 10 & freeware (report of my St. Valentines Day)

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 21:17:48 -0500

Two more things:
1) demobld.sql was renamed to $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/utlsampl.sql

   I was afraid that my old friend Scott and his cat Tiger were    gone. Fortunately, I was able to re-create the precious contents    of my database, all 14 rows of it.
2) Oracle has finally put "IMMEDIATE" in the dbshut procedure!!!!

   Mazeltoff!

On 02/14/2004 08:59:06 PM, Mladen Gogala wrote:
> I installed Oracle 10g on my RH-9 box, everything went well,
> but things were much hairier with public domain software.
> Tora and DBD::Oracle 1.15 had no problems with linking against
> oracle. PHP-4.3.4, on the other hand, failed entirely and I
> had to link5 5.0 beta4., which had worked. Unfortunately,
> Adam von Nieda's fine oracletool no longer works with 10g.
> It complains about the insufficient privileges, despite the
> fact that I granted select ant dictionary and select any table
> directly to the user "SYSTEM". The problem is not with the
> privileges, but the V$COMPATIBILITY table ceased to exist.
> Adam is using the table to figure out the database release.
> As I don't have V$COMPATIBIITY table, I decided to help him
> out a bit, by putting the following in the code instead of
> his query:
> SELECT 10,1 from dual
>

> That extremely complicated query fixed the tool and it was working
> again. Session wait events never returns in his tool, but it does
> return in tora. I believe that we're in for the oracletool release 3
> with the 10g. I'll fix the V$COMPATIBILITY query to go against
> v$version instead of v$compatibility.
>
> --
> Mladen Gogala
> Oracle DBA