Oracle 10 & freeware (report of my St. Valentines Day)

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 20:59:06 -0500

I installed Oracle 10g on my RH-9 box, everything went well, but things were much hairier with public domain software. Tora and DBD::Oracle 1.15 had no problems with linking against oracle. PHP-4.3.4, on the other hand, failed entirely and I had to link5 5.0 beta4., which had worked. Unfortunately, Adam von Nieda's fine oracletool no longer works with 10g. It complains about the insufficient privileges, despite the fact that I granted select ant dictionary and select any table directly to the user "SYSTEM". The problem is not with the privileges, but the V$COMPATIBILITY table ceased to exist. Adam is using the table to figure out the database release. As I don't have V$COMPATIBIITY table, I decided to help him out a bit, by putting the following in the code instead of his query:

        SELECT 10,1 from dual

That extremely complicated query fixed the tool and it was working again. Session wait events never returns in his tool, but it does return in tora. I believe that we're in for the oracletool release 3 with the 10g. I'll fix the V$COMPATIBILITY query to go against v$version instead of v$compatibility.

--

Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA