Rollback too small... on analyze???

From: Michael Kline <mkline1_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 09:28:44 -0500

Oracle 8.1.7.4 on HP-UX.

I've got a client trying to insert into large tables in batches of 5 million rows which is taking about 20 minutes per 5 million. No problem there.

The problem seems to be that he runs an analyze compute statistics afterwards and about 1 out of 5 times he gets a rollback segment too small. I wouldn't think analyze uses rollback.. It happens so infrequently and ALWAYS seems to work if they simply run it again.

What I suspect, though have no way to prove, is that the rollbacks are still dumping out after the last batch of inserts and the analyze gets a bit confused on this.

I have suggested they put a 3-5 minute "wait" before they run the analyze and see if that clears the problem up.

Is there any firm foundation to this?

What might be cause this?

The only other process running at the time was another insert batch on a different table.

Michael Kline, Principal Consultant
Business To Business Solutions, LLC
Richmond, VA
804-744-1545