Re: 8.1.7 db server - JServer?

From: Carmen Rusu <carmen.rusu_at_rrc.state.tx.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 07:03:56 -0600

Thanks Mladen, as usual very thoughtful advice.

Problem is my shop runs applications that are not supporting 9i!!

Oracle Support says you cant upgrade from 7.3.4 directly to 9i, gotta go thru 8.1.7.4

>>> mgogala_at_adelphia.net 2/12/2004 9:27:32 PM >>>
Carmen, I give the thumb up for the JServer. Oracle 7.3.4 has nothing to do with Java, but, Java is an ubiquitous programming language and can do useful things, which are much harder to do in PL/SQL. Among other things, Java handles regular expressions much, much better then the notorious OWA_PATTERN package. In other words, Java has no direct influence on your 7.3.4 data, but you don't want to rid yourself
of a potentially very useful tool. Another argument is purely commercial: it's much cheaper and easier to get a Java programmer then to get someone with good knowledge of PL/SQL. Other then that, I would advise you to upgrade to Oracle 9.2, because it is a terminal 9i release and, from my own experience, very stable. Upgrading to an unsupported version, you are going from a pot to a frying pan and you'll be in the exactly the same situation next February: you'll be running an ancient, unsupported version in a desperate need of an upgrade. Why undergo the same pain twice? Give yourself some breathing time and upgrade to oracle 9.2.

On 02/12/2004 08:17:22 PM, Carmen Rusu wrote:

> I am creating an 8.1.7.4 instance to import a legacy Oracle 7.3.4
> database.
>
> What are the pro/con of installing JServer on the new instance?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Carmen Rusu

Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA