RE: Rebuild Indexes

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 09:08:01 +0000

Bear in mind that there are probably no *general* rules - including the one=  I am about to give.=20

In general non-bitmap indexes should be rebuilt approximately never. There =
is little or no benefit in the *general* case to rebuilding a standard inde=
x, andd there is nearly always an associated cost while the rebuild happens=
 (especially on std edition where you can't do online rebuild).=20
In addition as well as the 'distinctiveness' of an index you should conside=
r carefully the volume of dml on the underlying table as bitmap indexes imp=
ly significant locking when dml happens. I believe this is getting better t=
he higher the version number of the database that you are running. =20

You will get a *slightly* different (and much more thoroughly argued than o= ne can do in an email) view from http://www.dbazine.com/jlewis14.shtml=20

If you have the idea that indexes become unbalanced over time then http://w= ww.dbazine.com/jlewis13.shtml ought to dispell that one for you.=20

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
Audit Commission
+44 117 975 7805=20

This email contains information intended for the addressee only. It may be confidential and may be the subject of legal and/or
professional privilege. Any dissemination, distribution, copyright or use of this
communication without prior permission of the sender is strictly prohibited.