Re: DB links

From: Thomas Day <tday6_at_csc.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:25:42 -0500

If you're using the alias as the USING then the question is, how are you resolving the alias at the database server? When you connect using the alias, you're using the SQLNET.ORA and (maybe) the TNSNAMES.ORA on your client machine. When the db_link is trying to resolve the alias, it's using the same files on the server.

If you're using the DESCRIPTION as the USING then make sure that there's no blanks or non-printing characters, ie, carriage returns. It shouldn't cause a problem but in my experience it does. Also, if you're using the DESCRIPTION, there' s an upper limit to how long the string can be. I'm not sure what it is but I have had problems with using the DESCRIPTION for RAC nodes - it gets too long.

                      Michael Milligan
                      <Michael.Milliga         To:      "'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
                      n                        cc:
                      @ingenix.com>            Subject: DB links
                      Sent by:
                      oracle-l-bounce

                      02/11/2004 06:50
                      PM
                      Please respond
                      to oracle-l

Has anyone had trouble using a link created for just certain databases, when
everything is set right. In other words, no reason can be seen why it wouldn't work? We changed the global name, etc., etc. I can connect to the database but when I create the link, then try to select from dual from another database, it says "TNSNames cannot resolve service name". But using the same service name, I immediately connect successfully to the database!

Driving us crazy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

This e-mail, including attachments, may include confidential and/or proprietary information, and may be used only by the person or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that
any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying
to this message and delete this e-mail immediately.