Oracle Agent Problem on AIX 5.1 and Oracle 9.2

From: Peter Barnett <regdba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 14:43:28 -0800 (PST)

We are having a rather difficult problem starting the oracle agent on AIX 5.1 in version 9.2.0.4. I suspect the answer may even be specific to the server.

The 9.2 oracle agent has successfully started and performed as expected on AIX 5.1 on 6H1 machines - small four processor servers. It has also started successfully across all servers, regardless of the class of server, in version 8i.

The problem agent is on an LPAR of a Regatta class machine. In reviewing all of the log files, the agent appears to start, but it generates an error message sent only to the terminal that the start failed. There is a tar open with Oracle that is getting nowhere on this. We have made minor edits to the /etc/hosts file and the snmp_rw.ora without success. Yesterday, I walked through the Oracle documentation step-by-step and followed each file created. Again, they all appeared normal.

Has anyone run into anything similar. This is truly baffling.

Pete Barnett
Lead Database Administrator
The Regence Group
pnbarne_at_regence.com