RE: RE: LMT ASSM & next extent

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 16:27:29 -0000

Hi Rich

It wasn't so much a serious question of what are the commands - I knew df -k and the windows stuff, it was if you set autoextend on and monitor *database* growth then you (or the sysadmin if separate) also need to consider the free space on the file system. If you have Oracle datafiles growing intermittently and unpredictably (I liked your K/M confusion example (I *think* we can have G from 9.2 as well) AND other stuff going on on the OS it's a recipe for disaster.=20

At least with fixed datafile sizes (either fixed or max) then you *know* what Oracle is doing,a dnyou should be able to do nice trend reporting ahead of time. Always best to fix problems before they happen. There is another advantage of fixed datafile sizes, namely if they are all the same size moving them around to balance IO becomes a lot easier.=20

cheers=20

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
Audit Commission
+44 117 975 7805=20

This email contains information intended for the addressee only. It may be confidential and may be the subject of legal and/or
professional privilege. Any dissemination, distribution, copyright or use of this
communication without prior permission of the sender is strictly prohibited.