RE: Implement Parallel Processing on DB Warehouse

From: Freeman, Donald <dofreeman_at_state.pa.us>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 09:55:25 -0500

"Flushing is harmful"

?? In response, I am flushing the shared_pool on this test instance so = that I can get baseline timing info. I understand that if I do it as a = matter
of course I am losing the benefit of having parsed, reusable code and = data already in memory.

"Hint is ignored because of incorrect syntax"

That's what I get for using a bargain table book for reference. I = thought I would be able to tell when something wasn't appropriate for a = 9i database. I tried your suggestions and it worked although I didn't = get the results I wanted. Once I parallized that index I more than = quadrupled the time it took to perform that query from about .4 seconds = to 1.7 seconds. It doesn't look like this is something I can throw at = the database but will have to implement on a case by case, query by = query basis. I was probably a little unrealistic to project '1 week' to = implement parallelism <g>. I've been working on this one little test = statement nearly that long.=20

"With how many zeroes do you spell "grateful"?"

As many as you want!  $0000000000000000000000000000. With zeros you can =
never have enough! I appreciate the time you took to answer my question =
and, of course, would help you move furniture if called upon.  It's not =
likely that you would ever need Oracle advice from me.  I rely on these =
lists extensively for answers but try to do as much of my homework as I =
can before I use up bandwidth asking for an easily obtained answer. I've = only been on this list for about a week but I believe I recognize some = of the names from the IOUG forum on Compuserve from about five years = ago.=20